Friday, November 19, 2010

Aunt Jessie

This woman was truly one of a kind. She was the sister of my grandfather. She lived in a big white house with a swing on the front porch. There was a 2 room house in front of her house. This little house was known as the slave quarters. In the old days there was a family that owned other people to work the farm. I'm so glad that time is gone. Aunt Jessie allowed my mother and me to live in the little house. It had no running water, or bathroom. My mother, being the strong woman she was, made this our home4. Soon thereafter, my brother cabby was born, then Stephen. Aunt Jessie just was so proud to see those little babies. She had never been married. Two years after Stephen was born, he died with an asthma attack. For about a month after that aunt Jessie kept cabby and me because Kent was born. Aunt Jessie didn't want a lot of stress on mama, after losing a child , and giving birth to another.

Aunt Jessie had a large Lego set and a log cabin block set for us to play with. We would make all kind of things. She would make cookies called tea cookies and to this day I have not had a cookie like that anywhere.

Aunt Jessie had grey hair and mostly wore a grey dress. She was soft spoken.
She had some bee hives which she collected honey from. The days when she would collect the honey, she had gloves, and a funny hat on so the bees would not sting. The honey was great. She always was so afraid the we would get to close and get stung. She would express 'don't go near those boxes ' every time she would go with her.

She had an outside job from the house. She worked at the shirt factory in Lawrenceville. This was the only job most people had, she was never sick or late to my knowledge. She would bring us candy once in a while, if we had been good. She did not travel, but read the paper every day. She was aware of thing and could tell us stories about places we just knew she had been there.
I think that's why I tell my granddaughter, if you read you can go anywhere without leaving your room.

Aunt Jessie had a lot of special qualities that we all saw. She made an impression on us and we all loved her.

Love your niece dale 11-26-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment