Friday, November 19, 2010

Tipping

No, this is not a story about how much you should give when eating out. This is a story about the ways "ladies" in my family do it.

My aunt Evelyn, had to have physical therapy at one of the local hospitals here so I told her family I would be delighted to assist her getting there. After the therapy I would take her to Susan's house.

Well, after the visit at the hospital, we would go out for lunch. Her favorite place was "taco bell". She would always want to go inside and sit instead of getting it and going home. We would stand in line until it was our turn. First she would read the person's name tag, then make her order personnel by addressing him by his name. She would always ask how his day was going, then he would answer and ask what her order was. She would give her order, then find out the total of the order. If the total came to $3.50 she would give him $5.00. He would give her the change and then here comes the part I would be waiting for knowing aunt Evelyn. She would say "you keep it for yourself, I know these places don't pay a lot." he would then say "we are not allowed to tipping", then she would say "I want you to have it ". Poor fellow, how do you say no to a short, white headed lady, with makeup on that shows she is kind, loving and has a good heart.

I would always give him a nod and tell him to take it and put it in the "Easter seal jar" jar that was on the counter.

Now she had a friend at "taco bell". Each time we went there it always seem to be johns work day, so he knew what to do. He always smiled and you could see for that one moment in his day he had met a lady that believed in the old way of tipping.
Oh, you though I was though, no way, I have two more aunts that you just have to know their story.

Jean and Joan. I am so lucky with these two little angels. Joan flies in from Texas every July for our family reunion, and jean flies to Texas every thanksgiving. When they go to the airport for their departure I ride with uncle earl. He lets us out in front ,so we can get the luggage checked in.
First, there is this man to get your luggage, both of them look at his name tag, and immediately address him by his name. This surely bring a smile. Oh, this occurs with both of them . They both always have the money or tip in their hand to give this smiling luggage man. The people are always kind and very considerate. They weigh you luggage and if over, you have to pay more. It always seems like the extra cake, or cheese that my aunts or taken is always allowed. He just smiles and sometimes they may have to rearrange the cheese but never an extra charge., they give a tip and they are on their merry little way.

The image of a person meeting all three of these ladies at one time, what a tip they would receive.

These women have taught me so much, about the right things to do. I am trying to teach these old values to my new Courtney. She writes thank you cards, and even Dominic at 2 years old says "thank you" and "bless you" when you sneeze.
Our family was blessed with 5 wonderful women and I have only touched on 3, but I can assure you the other two had their way of giving , that I could write an entire book on not just a story. It is respect to others that do things for us in small ways that a tip is given. Remember the old ways when you meet someone that does you a small favor. Be kind always.

Bless you my aunts. Love always dale

No comments:

Post a Comment