Friday, November 19, 2010

A trip to grandma's house

Every time our parents said we were going to grandma's house for Sunday dinner, we were excited.

My grandparents had a little white house that set on top of a knoll that you could see when you drove up to it. You could see it from the road.

There were two drives, one from the main road route 58, the other from a side road that came in front of the house. The drive from route 58 was lined with apple trees on the left side and electric fence on the right to keep the cows in. We were all told do not touch that wire. That was ok because we were more interested in getting the apples. They were small and green, but they were great. After the short ride on the path as grandma would call it, we were at the house.
Oh my what a joy, the grass was green and in the front yard grandma had some rose bushes in a circle. They seem to be always blooming all year. They were so pretty, and grandma was so proud of them.

On the front porch was one swing, that we all took turns swinging with grandma. Granddaddy had a favorite green iron chair he sat in. There were two other chairs for company. Most of the children sat on the step leading off the porch, if we were not in the swing with our favorite person, grandma.

If it was a nice cool day grandma would put some chairs in the yard, and everyone would gather there to talk. That was great because there were big oak trees that kept the cool in the front yard.

The house was in the middle of a circle drive and filled with big oak trees. Do you get the picture, that this house was a piece of heaven.

Well when you entered the front door, this room was filled with wonderful things. There was a piano, a couch, a cedar chest, a dressing table (that all the girls primped at) and a bed. It was for guest but all us grandchildren wanted to sleep with grandma. Her room was to the right. Her room had two beds, one for her and the other for jerry bane, when he still lived at home. Grandma's bed always felt the best. She could put a quilt on you when it was cold, and it was so heavy you wouldn't move until morning.

Ok, I got side-tracked, but this was a great room.

Going back to where the piano was, to enter the dining room you had to pass thru French doors. That was like a movie. Grandma only shut them to keep noises out when someone was sleeping. I loved those doors.

Now we are in the dining room. This had a big round table, a china cabinet for the good dishes, a stove, a recliner for granddaddy and a bed. This is where granddaddy slept.

This is where some of the of the best Sunday dinners were ever served. Always great with hot rolls and desert. The blackberry dumplings were my favorite. Grandma was a great cook. She could turn dough into pies, bread, and desert in no time.

The next room was the kitchen. We all wanted to help. She never said no. We helped with dished, one washing, one drying. Grandma said we could always help even if it's putting butter on the table. I never heard her say an unkind word or lose her temper. With so many people around you would think she might but she enjoyed having her family with her.
If you go out the back door there were chickens and animals to feed. Grandma would show us all how to do that. She even taught me how to milk a cow. No thanks, but I saw her do it a lot. She would make beautiful ball of butter and make a design on it that made it her own.
My grandparents had a house filled with love. Grandma made sure of that. She played the piano and we watched. When there was a prayer meeting, she made sure that there were refreshments. Everyone loved her and she made such an impression on everyone she came in touch with.

Oops,back to the house, it was 4 rooms, that raised 9 children and sometimes me. I don't think about a big house, when you see one on TV, that would have had this much love in it.
If Buckingham palace could write the same about the queen as I have my grandmother, then maybe I would change my mind, but nothing comes close to my grandmother.
This is my thanksgivings story,

Because I'm truly thankful for all I have had and all I have. I am a blessed granddaughter, daughter, mother, and grandmother, because I was taught by the best. Our angel here.

All my love grandma. Love dale

No comments:

Post a Comment